Ok, hear me out. This may sound unreasonable at first because you also may not want to do the task that no one else wants to. But that’s exactly why you should!
You have probably avoided it because:
- It may be considered boring.
- Might take a long time.
- You may not have a lot of experience with the subject so are a bit apprehensive to do it.
But try and think of the benefits that you’ll get once you complete the task. Here’s a few:
- If it’s “boring”, you’ll become a team “hero” for picking it up.
- If the task takes too long, why not come up with ways to automate, simplify or replace it from your process altogether with something better.
- After completing this task, you’ll have gained more experience with it and the tool. This will supplement your own skills to potentially fill gaps in your own career.
Volunteering for the tasks that no one wants to do can help you to grow as a person. Doing this helps you to step out of your comfort zone and grow a little each day.
These benefits are universal no matter what field or industry you work within so you have no excuse not to start raising your hand and jumping into the next voluntary task to come your way.